Driving Innovation through Direct Primary Care
Held November 12, 2019, at the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center
Physicians and their patients, employers, payers, states, and most recently—the federal government—are embracing direct primary care, a model in which physician practices are paid a flat fee for a defined set of primary care services.
There is considerable policy activity now underway to advance direct primary care. On October 23rd, the House Ways & Means Committee unanimously passed H.R. 3708, the bipartisan Primary Care Enhancement Act, introduced by Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) and Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA), which includes changes that will make direct primary care available to a greater number of Americans. Discussions are also underway in the Senate. The Republican Study Committee’s recently released Health Care Plan contains recommendations that will enable greater access to direct primary care. Earlier this year, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) announced a new Primary Cares Initiative—which includes primary care and direct contracting payment models. States—including New Jersey—have also adopted this model of care.
Learn about the benefits of direct primary care, barriers to its adoption, and strategies and policies for making this model available to more Americans, from a panel discussion of leaders representing physicians, health systems, technology innovators, employers, and states who are successfully implementing this innovative delivery model on the ground.
- The Honorable Dan Crenshaw (R-TX), U.S. House of Representatives
- Cynthia Fisher, Founder and Chairman, Patient Rights Advocate; Member, Health IT Advisory Commitee, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Majority Leader Louis “Lou” D. Greenwald (D), Assemblyman, New Jersey General Assembly
- Trent Hadley, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Baylor Scott & White Quality Alliance
- Shawn Martin, Senior Vice President, Advocacy, Practice Advancement, and Policy, American Academy of Family Physicians
- Michael Schneider, Chief Executive Officer, A-1 Locksmith, Safe and Security
- William C. Short, Chief Executive Officer, Accresa
- Ann Greiner, President and CEO, Primary Care Collaborative (moderator)
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.